Friday, April 4, 2008

Emma and OMSI


I know this is long but it's worth the read. Skip down to the 2nd paraghraph if you want to get straight to the point.

While Tina and Jakob were here we decided to go with Amber and her girls to OMSI to see the dinosaurs. Emma and Justin had been the previous week for a class field trip but the rest of us wanted to go. We were having a great time but was soon to make a startling discovery about Emma. If you know her at all you would know that she Loves animals, and boy things like frogs and snakes and turtles and bugs. She is a bit of a tom boy and seems to be the toughest of our kids. When we went through the insect area of the museum she even held a giant hissing cockroach (yuk!) that Katrina wanted to have nothing to do with. So when we heard that there was going to be a frog dissection right there up close and personal we didn't even hesitate to find Emma and see if she was interested in watching. She sounded excited as we explained what a dissection was and to our surprise Katrina got right up in front with Emma to watch. It got crowded very quickly and me and my weak stomach had to walk away and look at something else as soon as the knife came out. As I was walking leisurely around, waiting for them to get done Tina came and tapped me on the shoulder and told me that Justin was looking for me and they think Emma passed out. According to Tina I freaked out a little (I don't remember that:)) and quickly saw Justin holding her limp body. I ran towards him and saw she was conscious but very pale and sweaty, lips blue. He said she was dry heaving and thought she was going to throw up and to grab her and take her to the bathroom quickly, I still wasn't sure what had happened, but I grabbed her and walked as quick as I could down the long hallway to the bathrooms, I could feel her dry heaving getting more exaggerated and as I passed a group of people sitting on a bench with their children she let it all out down my back, leg, shoe and eventually the floor. It was nasty and embarrassing but you don't really care about those things when your kid is sick. I called to Justin, pointed, then turned and kept going for the bathroom. I think she let a little more out before we got there and some when I got her in a stall. I tried to clean us up as best I could, got her a cold cloth, went back to face the crowd that had for some reason disappeared and was replaced by our group. Got Justin and the other girls and headed for the car and home. She stayed pretty pale the whole way home and slept most of the time, we put her to bed at home where she stayed for about an hour. Once she got up she was perfectly okay.
We figured that she has gotten sick from watching the frog dissection but weren't sure if she had actually passed out or not. She cleared that up for us later that day. She randomly said 'daddy, did Katrina tell you that when I saw them cut the frog on the belly I went blind?'! Katrina was great when it happened. Justin happened to be texting someone so didn't see it happen, Katrina said she went to her knees and then laid down and she asked if she was okay and got no response so she said "I'll go get daddy" and she ran up to Justin and told him something was wrong with Emma. I was very proud of her. For us we were a little shocked that it was Emma that went down and not Katrina, who later said she loved it! Go figure! Needless to say Emma probably won't grow up to become a doctor or nurse, or vet!

No comments: