
Okay, so most of you know Justin is in the Mortgage industry and if you watch the news you know it's not the best job field to be in right now. We will make it through these times but we definitely need to change some of our habits with money in order to do that. One of those ways is dates and family activities. It is so hard to find something to do that doesn't cost at least a small amount of money, especially in the winter when it's cold outside, it is just expensive to live in this world. So I am trying to compile a list of free family activities and date ideas and I would love your help with that. I will list all the things I can think of but if you can come up with any thing else please leave a comment or make a list on your own blog and let me know!
Family Activities:
* Take a walk
* Go on a bug hunt or an animal hunt (squirrels or something of that sort)
* Go to a free local public park and play on the playground
* Ride bikes in your neighborhood
* Make a fort at home for the day and play in it with your kids
* Put on a movie you have, turn out most of the lights, pop some popcorn and have a movie time on the floor with blankets.
* Have the kids help you re arrange a room (I recently re arranged my living room and was shocked at how into it the girls were, they would have totally designed their own room if I let them!) You can always put it back different later.
* Go to Multnohma Falls (here in Portland) for a day of sight seeing. It is a great free place to go with kids who can walk. There are also many great hiking trails along the scenic highway that you can stop at, and Crown Point, and parks to have a picnic lunch in too.
* Take your kids to the local fish hatchery, free and very interesting. Cascade Locks has a great one!
* See if there are any working farms or ranches in your area and visit one to show your kids how a working ranch operates.
*In the summer time, if you have good self restraint, go to a local farmers market just to look at all the neat vendors, plants, and fresh foods (and other people there!).
* Go to a dog park, if you have a dog, or not, no one would probably notice if you didn't have a dog with you but if you have animal lovers it's a great way for them to get up close and personal, if you aren't afraid.
* Get out your old photo albums or albums from when your kids were little and go through the pictures and tell the stories behind the pictures, we do that with our storybooks. You can also watch old home movies.
* Do a craft - use supplies you already have so you don't have to spend money at the craft store, get creative!
* Have a cooking or baking day - I have all girls so maybe more likely for me.
* Go visit a family member or friend at their house.
* Go for a drive down a part of town you haven't ever been before - or out in the country.
* Sit down and write letters and draw pictures for out of state family members and friends (or those possibly imprisoned?) and send them the same day.
* Visit any historic buildings or landmarks in your home town or close to it.
* Turn on some music and dance, dance, dance!!
* And our personal favorite, pull out the Ultimate Fighter moves on daddy!
That's all I can think of for now. I guess some of those would work for dates with your spouse too but if you can think of any more please let me know!
6 comments:
ummm...I think you have this covered. I'm speechless, your list is extensive and very thorough. Nice work, you should pitch this to the oregonian:)
i like your ideas Summer!! i think you listed everything because after reading your list, I am having a hard time thinking of something....did you say make a date of it to ikea? sometimes the kids and i do that- zane can go play and ivana and i walk around and at least window shop- then we do spent money, though not much and eat lunch there- THAT is fun!
Hi Summer, Great list! I know the girls are pretty young but...adventures are alway great dates! A scavenger hunt, looking for amimal tracks, take some the treats you make to a nursing home or to meet new neighbors. Have the girls make up a play to do for Daddy when he comes home!
Keep a note book on hand...as you are on one date another idea will pop into your head. Aunti Gayle would love a card :).
Those are all fantastic ideas! Well, this one sounds kindof boring in comparison, but I don't think you mentioned going to your local library? or even checking out a library you don't normally visit, like the big one downtown, or one in a different suburb. Most of them have good storytimes, and in the summer they have reading programs- competitions for reading the most books (or having them read to you)
Also, when Dan and I were in Minnesota and had no money, we would have cheap dates at the Barnes and Noble. We'd take turns finding interesting books and then curl up on a couch or a chair (or the floor) and read them to each other. Most B&N's have a really nice children's section, and it's a great way to preview the newest books. Then you can put whatever you like on hold at the library, or ask your library to order it, and go pick it up together.
Thanks for all the great ideas so far that ou have added. I will add them to the list. Alica I forgot about the library but we do do that, not as often now with Addy but thanks for the reminder, they love the library! Never thought about B&N either!
Post a Comment