I am a mediocre person. There is nothing really special or extraordinary about me. Nothing that makes me stand out in a crowd. Nothing that draws people to me. Nothing that really sets me apart as different or as unique or that defines me as a person. Some people are amazing singers, some play an instrument, some dance, others are particularly good at a sport. I do none of those. I can't sing, play any instrument, dance, and I've never played a sport. I have never done anything really exciting, never traveled anywhere exotic, meet important people, done things the average person doesn't do. I'm not a good teacher, not the best speaker, not a natural leader. I'm not unnaturally beautiful, tall, or thin. I am not knowledgeable about anything specific nor am I super intelligent. I don't have enough money to mask the fact that I am ordinary by purchasing extravagant things, clothes, makeup, and jewelry. I'm not a forward thinker nor do I think outside the box. I'm not inventive or original, even my art is usually copied from something I've seen before. I'm not the best at anything. I sometimes envy other people with these talents or traits. I covet what they have or the natural God given talents and abilities they have been given. I wonder why God didn't give me a beautiful voice or a models body. Why are my talents not more evident or extravagant? I long to stand out or be special. I try sometimes to be the best "fill in the blank" but my efforts are never enough. Why do I have this desire to be especially good at something or special in some way? Why do I feel defeated when I don't measure up? Why do I feel inferior when I am with people who are 'special'? What would be different in my life if I were not mediocre? Why do I need and seek for this fulfillment? I think if I am truly honest with myself it is because I see that self worth, definition, and purpose are tied to these things. I find my worth in being good at something, definition in being known for something or how well I do something, and purpose in doing these things to gain worth and definition. Isn't Christ where I am supposed to find this fulfillment? Aren't I supposed to find my worth in Him, He should define who I am, and my purpose in this life should be to live for Him?
I know this, but then why can't I make myself believe this and live it every day? I suppose I find it more satisfying to be 'special' in the eyes of man for what I can do in this world that I do in just being 'special' for who I am to God. I don't have to be anyone special or do anything special for God to love me. This should satisfy my desires and needs but for some reason I don't allow it to all the time. I am not finding my joy in being His. I am searching for my joy in who others see me as. I think everyone at some point in their lives comes to ask themselves, 'what do I have to offer this world?" and when you go through the list and find you really have nothing to offer, that is when hopelessness, loneliness, and despair set in. As a follower of Christ I should not come up empty handed when I ask myself this question. I have Him, therefore He is what I have to offer to the world. And that should be enough. That should be an honor. But I still find myself inadequate to even do that at times. I guess what makes me different from someone who does not have Christ in their lives is that I have hope; that someday soon I will know the feeling of contentment with who I am and the place in life I have been given by God. I know that He can change my heart. If I didn't have that hope, I am pretty sure I would want to end my time in this world. What would I have to live for? What would I have to offer? NOTHING. So once again He is my Savior; and I am reminded of my great need for one.
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow Summer. Thanks for sharing what was on your heart. I surely can relate. I think we all can. And I just wanted to say that your cake-making is surely something extraordinary:-) Love you my friend,
Amber
Summer~I think everybody feels this way to some degree, if they are honest. Thanks for sharing your heart. I am copying a post to you written by a friend of mine who is a missionary in Togo. It is on the same subject and had a profound impact on my life. I hope you enjoy it and are encouraged too.
http://traceyries.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/just-average/
blessings
Rebecca Smith
Summer, thank you for being so vulnerable and open (one of the things i love most about a friend!). I loved what you concluded with- how we have that hope in Jesus- which makes it all seem worthwhile. Similar to the reminder when hard painful stuff that we experience in our lives occurs, how it makes us long for heaven, and not get so comfortable here on earth. I am so glad you are my friend. Yeah, and to echo Amber, I think you have mad cake decorating skills while I have nothing of the sort.
Post a Comment